Capital of Greece: Ankara
Official language: Turkish with the German and English languages are widely spoken in cities and tourist resorts.
The currency: Turkish Lira
Welcome to Turkey!
It is a place like no other. Turkey has an oriental tradition and western modernity. On the one hand seeks to preserve the traditions and customs, while on the other, eagerly rushes into the future. Turkey will charm you with its rich history, archaeological sites and diverse cultural heritage. High quality tourist facilities, gastronomic delights, magnificent views and hospitality are the main reasons why the Turkey is one of the most popular travel destinations in the world. It is the ideal destination for admirers of cultural heritage and natural beauty. Whoever visit Turkey will keep coming back. Experience the magic of Turkey!
Must see places in Turkey
Ankara is the capital of Turkey and the country's second largest city. Ankara is an very important commercial and industrial city. Ankara is an historical, but extremely modern city with several Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman archaeological sites. One of the most remarkable is the
Temple of Augustus and Rome.
Cappadocia is a historical region in Central Anatolia, in Nevşehir Province. It has a unique and rich historical and cultural heritage. It is a region of outstanding natural wonders. Cappadocia was also known as Hatti in Bronze Age. It is a very popular tourist destination with many geological and historical areas.
Istanbul is a city located on the Bosphorus strait, the former capital of three great empires Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman. Istanbul is the largest city in Turkey and its cultural and economic center. Istanbul is the world's only city which connects two continents. The western part of Istanbul is
located in Europe, while the east part is in Asia. The bridge that connects the two continents is called the Bosphorus Bridge. Istanbul is a place of fun and diversity. This beautiful and historical city will leave you breathless.
Ephesus is for sure one of the best and most magnificent highlights of Turkey. The city is world famous for the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Ephesus or Efes was an ancient Greek city, and later a large Roman city. Today is a major archeological site, and it is located near the Aegean Sea, about three kilometers from Selçuk in İzmir Province.
İzmir is a major metropolis and third largest city in Turkey. It is located in the Aegean province. It is one of the most important port cities in Turkey and the second biggest port after Istanbul. İzmir was once known as Smyrna. The city itself is composed of various metropolitan districts.
İzmir is an amazing town with rich historical and cultural heritage, but at the same time it is very modern and developed city.
Wonders of the Ancient World. Some of the must see sites in Bodrum are Bodrum Castle or Castle of St. Peter, The Bodrum Amphitheatre, Windmills in Bodrum and Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology. Theatre of Halicarnassus in Bodrum is another great highlight of this beautiful city.
Çeşme is a nice coastal town located on the Çeşme Peninsula on the Aegean coast.Çeşme is located approximately 85 kilometers from the
city of İzmir. Çeşme has several districts. Some of them are: Alaçatı, Paşalimanı, and Ilıca.The magnificent Çeşme Castle is one of the most popular sights in Çeşme. It is a beautiful example of Ottoman architecture. Çeşme is for sure one of Turkey's most popular holiday destinations. You will certainly enjoy in the beautiful turquoise sea, great entertainment facilities and a stunning atmosphere of this city. There are also some fascinating antique sites worth visiting.
Çanakkale is a city and seaport in Çanakkale Province on the northwest of Turkey. Çanakkale is also the nearest major city to the site of ancient old Troy. The city was called Hellespont and Dardanelles in the ancient times. Çanakkale is a very popular tourist destination. It is an amazing city that has witnessed many famous historical battles and events. It will fascinate you with its rich history and culture.
Antalya is the largest city on the Mediterranean coast of southwestern Turkey. It is located on the magnificent and gorgeous Turkish riviera. Antalya is one of the most visited cities in the world and a popular holiday destination. Antalya has a great selection of museums, hotels, bars, clubs, restaurants and amazing historical sites and buildings to explore. It also has stunning long beaches including Konyaaltı and Lara. You can find numerous mosques, churches, hans and hamams in Antalya.
Side is an ancient city and a beautiful coastal resort on the Mediterranean coast in the Antalya province. It is about 75 kilometers from Antalya. Side is undoubtedly one of the country's most popular destinations for tourists. Side is a small town, but you have so much to do and see in the city. You will be amazed by the spectacular ruins of this ancient city. Some of the most remarkable sights of the city are a huge amphitheatre and the Temple of Apollo. Side indeed has a rich cultural and historical heritage. It is a true gem. The city was an important trade center in ancient times. Side has lovely sandy beaches, great entertainment options, excellent hotels, bars and shops.
Marmaris is a beautiful port town and a famous tourist destination on the Mediterranean coast. It is located in Muğla Province. Marmaris has beautiful locations, outstanding beaches and stunning scenery that will leave you breathless. The city was once a fishing village and it was known as Physkos. Today, Marmaris is one of the most popular travel destinations in Turkey.
Trabzon is a city and the capital of Trabzon Province on the Black Sea coast. Trabzon is a stunning city with rich culture, natural treasures, and a long history. The city was once known as Trebizond and it was a major trade centre. It is interesting to know that Suleiman the Magnificent was born in Trabzon. In the city you can see a large number of old Byzantine churches. The most famous is certainly the wellpreserved Hagia Sophia. Some of the other main sights are Hagia Sophia Museum, Trabzon Castle, Trabzon Museum and Boztepe Park. There are also many stunning attractions within Trabzon Province, such as Sümela Monastery and Uzungöl lake. Trabzon is also a great base to explore the Black Sea region.
Visit Spice Bazaar
If you find yourself in the center of Istanbul, you must visit the Spice Bazaar. Here you will find a variety of amazing spices. Be ready to sharpen your senses!
Walk across the Galata Bridge
This bridge has been featured in many novels. You will see a lot of fishermen, fishing from the bridge. It is located on the “Golden Horn”.
Visit Grand Bazaar
The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul is one of the largest and oldest markets in the entire world. It has more than 4,000 shops. There you can find jewelry, furniture, carpets, leather goods, and many other affordable products.
Drink Turkish tea
Turkish tea is one of the most popular drinks in the entire country. It has very special flavour. Each consumer can choose between dark and light tea.
Visit Archaeological Museums
The Istanbul Archaeological Museums is actually a group of three archeological museums. They are located in Istanbul. This is a must see place because you will have the opportunity to see more than one million objects from variety of civilizations.
Go to a bellydancing show
You will surely remember this experience! Sensual movements and beautiful music will leave you breathless.
Best time to visit
Tourists visit Turkey from April to October
Turkey is a large country and therefore can be divided into several different climatic regions. The best time to visit Turkey is generally in spring and autumn. That is the perfect time if you plan to visit Istanbul. You will definitely enjoy in sightseeing. In spring, weather is moderate and days are long. Turkey has a typical Mediterranean climate with very hot summers and mild, wet winters. In autumn the days are shorter, and the weather is mostly mild, but not rainless. It is still very warm in beach resorts. Summer is quite hot in Turkey, but it is perfect if you are going in one of many seaside resorts. Winter is also a good time to visit Turkey because of the lack of tourists. The conclusion is clear, Turkey is beautiful in all seasons.
Did you know?
- The Istanbul International Music Festival - This is one of the main festivals held in Istanbul. You can enjoy in variety of good music selection, from classical to the traditional music. This festival is held every June and July in
- Alanya International Culture and Art Festival - This is a very popular festival which offers the best of the culture and art. It is held in the last week of May, in Alanya.
- The Kadirga Festival - One of the most famous Turkish festivals. It is held in the third week of July in Tonya.
You will surely enjoy in a traditional dancing and the atmosphere
- Barışarock - This is the place you want to be if you are a rock lover. This festival is held every year usually in
May, in Istanbul. You will see many excellent performances, and the good thing is that the
entrance is free of charge
- Mersin International Music Festival - This is a music festival held every year in Mersin. You can enjoy in pop, jazz and classical music performances. Mersin International Music Festival is usually held in May.
- Journey through Turkey is a wonderful culinary experience. Turkish cuisine is different in every region, but some dishes are common in the country. Probably the most famous Turkish dish is their delicious Kebab
- Every day you can taste some new Turkish specialty. Turkish cuisine offers you a wide selection of soups, appetizers, vegetables and meat dishes, and also desserts and salads. Appetizers offer a wide variety of national cuisine: roasted vegetables such as artichokes, zucchini; olives and goat cheese.
- If you like rice, then you must try a Pilaf with rice, or even a Tomato Pilaf. Menemen is a gorgeous dish of scrambled eggs with vegetables, perfect for breakfast.
- You must try their fantastic desserts such as Baklava and Kadayif. After the meal they will serve you a delicious Turkish coffee in a cooper jar.
- The national and most popular drinks are Raki and Ayran (refreshing yogurt).
● Smoking in Turkey is widely accepted but prohibited in cinemas, theaters, and buses.
● Tap water is usually safe to drink but it is recommended to purchase bottled water.
● The main Turkish airports are located in Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir, Adana, Antalya, Bodrum, Dalaman and Trabzon.
● Ankara and Istanbul have a subway. Other major cities have wellorganized public transport buses, trolleybuses and taxis.
● State taxis are marked with black stripe and yellow cubes. Taxis have taximeters, but always arrange a price before, so you can avoid any misunderstandings.
● Turkey is a secular state and alcohol is widely consumed, but during Ramadan is expected of visitors to avoid drinking alcohol in public.
● You can exchange money at the banks, exchange offices and most of the hotels. Traveler's checks can be cashed in banks upon presentation of a passport. Most accepted credit cards are Diners Club, MasterCard, Visa. ATM machines are available in