Offical language: Spanish
Currency: The Mexican Peso
Welcome to Mexico, the land of traditions, history, wonderful landscapes and warm people!
The land of the cacao, the ancient pre-Columbian pyramids and ruins, the cradle of the corn, the tequila and many other Mexican delights. If you have ever wondered where to go to spend amazing holidays with everything included, Mexico is the answer. It has a wide range of things to offer, from the most impressive ancient ruins of the Toltecs in Teotihuacan to the new Museum Soumaya in Mexico City. A country that will blow your mind everywhere you go. Mexico is one of the most visited countries in the world. A valuable artistic heritage, in addition to its beaches and scenery make Mexico an attractive destination for tourists. It has a rich biodiversity due to different climates. Mexico is home to between 10 and 12% of the world's biodiversity and has more than 12,000 native species. And if you are thinking of having an amazing time with your beloved one, Mexico is a must. The most beautiful sunsets you will ever see are waiting for you in the Pacific Ocean. And crystal clear turquoise waters will tempt you in the Caribbean Sea. But if you want to walk around narrow streets holding your beloved’s hand, the Centre of Mexico is the right spot for this.
Must see places in Mexico
Mexico City is the biggest city in the country. Being in a country and in a city like this is extremely rich, because you can receive all the tradition of centuries ago that certainly is attractive for tourists who come to this site without knowing more than the conventional facts of the city. Mexico is very unique city; it has the legacy of 3 historic phases, the Aztec, the colony and the contemporary age.
One of the most beautiful parts of the west coast in Mexico is in Baja California. This peninsula is divided in 2: Baja California and Baja California Sur. The region is well known for many things. The first one is Tijuana and the second one is Cabos. If you have ever watched a movie or TV series, they always go to Tijuana or Cabo. But the place you really want to see and fall in love with, is Cabo San Lucas.
Oaxaca State is located in the south-east part of Mexico. The name of Oaxaca comes from the Nahuatl word Huayacac and it means “Top of acacias”. Oaxaca is the most diverse state in Mexico. It has the biggest amount of indigenous people in Mexico, also the third part of the native languages in Mexico. The main reason that indigenous languages and cultures have been able to survive here is the rugged terrain, which isolate communities.
Cancún is one of the most famous Mexican top tour destinations. Located on the Caribbean Sea, in the state of Quintana Roo, this resort is proudly following its motto: The Glistening City. When you visit this growing city with over a million permanent residents you will hardly believe that about 50 years earlier it had around 130 people living there. What makes this place so magnetic to the tourists is not only the transparent turquoise sea and fine sand beaches, lit by the sun, but the fact that this resort never sleeps and offers huge variety of tourist attractions.
The state of Guanajuato is located in the Central Plateau, in the southern part of the Mexican plateau. It’s a very important state in the country because of the mines of silver and because historically the independence of Mexico started there. There are many things to do in this beautiful state, but the main two places you have to visit are the city of Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende.
Playa del Carmen
The longer you stay in Playa del Carmen, the stronger you will fall in love with it. The Beach of Carmen, what the translation from Spanish is, is a unique combination of all in one. It is one of the most touristic cities in eastern Mexico and a major top destination at Riviera Maya. Located in the state of Quintana Roo and ranked as the second biggest resort after Cancún, Playa is considered as one of the top dive destinations in the world. Modern city, rich of cultural and historic heritage and economically stable makes it a great choice for an active vacation with many adventures.
This is the state of the Riviera Maya, it is located next to the Caribbean Sea and also the jungle. This is the land of the Mayans and it has a very unique beauty.
Things to do in Mexico
The pyramids is a must do
Walk around the small parks in the centre of the cities
Visit National Parks
Try real Mexican tacos or Mexican food
Visit colonial cities or towns
Relax and visit beaches
Best time to visit Mexico
Tourists visit Mexico from January to March
The best time to travel around Mexico is during the spring, summer and autumn, the weather changes from zone to zone. Travel to the Riviera Maya during January, February or March is the best time. It is not too cold, not too hot. Just average temperature around 25 degrees. Other parts of the country can change depending on the area. The weather in north of the country is very hot during spring and summer and very cold in winter.
- Cumbre Tajin:This festival is hosted in Veracruz, in the Totonaca’s ruins. It’s a very important festival that happens around the spring. There are many concerts going on and many activities.
- Festival de Mexico: This festival is hosted in Mexico City and it is one of the most important festivals in the country. Here you can see exhibitions of art, cuisine, music and many more. Normally happens during the spring.
- Feria de San Marcos: This Fair is hosted in Aguascalientes, a very colonial city in the centre of Mexico. Normally it takes place during the last week of April due to the day of Saint Marcos. This is a very unique fair that you should definitely visit if you have the chance to be in Mexico during those days
- La Guelaguetza: This festival takes place in Oaxaca and it is a very important celebration for the indigenous people in Mexico. More than 16 ethnicities gather together to celebrate here the Guelaguetza or offerings. This festival happens around April. It’s a very nice way to see the diversity in Mexico.
- Festival Internacional Cervantino: Probably the most famous Mexican festival in the world. It always takes place in the city of Guanajuato and normally can last a month during the autumn. Every year there are some special countries invited to bring exhibitions, music and more to the festival.
- Festival de Veracruz: Takes places in Veracruz and normally starts in March and lasts 9 days. It is a very cheerful and colourful festival with many parades. This is the biggest festival in Mexico and it is a nice way to see more of the dances in the country.
When people think of Mexico, the food and the tequila always pop up in their minds. Mexican kitchen is very well known and very international. People normally relate Mexican food with Tacos, burritos and beans. In reality, Mexican cuisine goes far beyond that. Each state has its own dish and sometime it can only be found in that area or state. Once you have tried the Mexican hospitality, you have tried the real Mexican food. You will totally love it and it will certainly make your trip around Mexico more pleasant.
- One of the main dishes you have to try is Pozole, it is a soup made with white corn, lettuce, radish, pork or chicken, chili powder, chopped onions, lemons and salsa (spicy sauce). It is a very old prehispanic recipe and it was used for special occasions. Nowadays it can be eaten everywhere and if it is well prepared is a very delicious dish you can’t miss while in Mexico.
- Quesadillas, tacos and huaraches. These are normal dishes you can find everywhere in Mexico and the best place to eat them: the street. It is a very local way to eat them and the taste is fantastic. There are many things you can fill in the tortilla: cheese, picadillo, rice, beans, tinga.
- Pastel de 3 leches, 3 milk cake, it only exists in Central America and it is something you should really try. The cake has to be served called and if you are sharing it with your beloved one, it will be more than sweet for both of you.
- Mole Poblano is a must when you are in Mexico. The mole is a mix of many types of chilies and chocolate, the final product is very tasty and it comes with chicken and rice. Normally the best place to try it is in Puebla since it comes from there. Maybe the idea of spicy and chocolate is strange in the beginning, but in reality the taste is delicious, it might even make you buy some bottle of Mole and take it home with you.
- Chiles rellenos, maybe you are fan of spicy food, maybe not, but trying them is a must, its like going to the lotto, you never know if your chili will be very spicy or not, plus the filling is always very tasty.
Always get to know locals, they can give you the best advice for the best places to see and also about security. And in the end, is the best way to get to travel around in this amazing and mystical country.
- Sometimes is better to rent a car than to travel by buses.
- Using the local currency is always the best option.
- Credit cards are accepted mostly everywhere. All the major touristic places accept them.
- Haggling is always good and you can get very good discounts by doing it.
- Try all the food that you can, Mexican cuisine is very rich and very diverse.