It’s pretty important to know the number of the emergency services for the country you’re visiting BEFORE you get there. There are about 82 countries that make use of the international emergency number 112. This however won’t always work, since the world is so much bigger than just 82 countries, but if you’re in the EU, 112 should be able to help you out.
Here are some safety measures you need to have in place before you get on that plane:
- Make sure you have the number of the consulate or embassy of your home country so that you can contact them in case of an emergency
- Take out health insurance to make sure that you’re covered for medical emergencies
- Make sure someone back home has a copy of your travel itinerary for in case something goes wrong
- Take enough cash with you, and don’t stick to just one single currency
- Read up and study some of the basic local phrases of the country you’ll be traveling to. You need to be able to tell a local that you need help if the need arises.